I haven't sold a single copy of the book.

 I haven’t written a blog post in a long time. I kind of fell of the bandwagon a few years ago. So, to give you a bit of context, this is, in brief, what has been happening to yours truly.

I had high hopes for my writing career. To tell you the truth, I can’t remember when I started writing seriously, I just found myself writing and it stuck. I like to think that my love of reading, something that has been part of me since I was book-holding old, is what led me to start to write. But I’m getting sidetracked. Back to the story.

About five years ago, I published my fiction novel on Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing Program (KDP in short) This was after being on Upwork Inc. pitching for creative writing gigs and not getting any. Jobs on Upwork are not easy to win. Especially if you do not have a proven track record and a large portfolio of clients already.

(Upwork is an online marketplace, where people who need all sorts of Jobs done, post those jobs and people looking for jobs compete for the posted jobs. Makes sense?)

A certain dude posted this gig saying he wanted a ghostwriter for a book project he was working on. The Job posting went something like this

I’m looking for a ghostwriter for a 50,000-word novel. They should come up with a unique and interesting story idea and write at least 5000 words.

If I like their story, they will sign over all the rights to it and work with me to complete it. The budget for this Job is 100 USD.”

To say that I was shocked is an understatement, here was a person who wanted someone else to come up with a story idea for them, one that no one in the world had ever thought of before or indeed written. Write 5000 words of it and sign it over to them for 100 US dollars! Seriously! And not only that, the freelancer should then help the client complete the project so that the client could pass himself off as an author and sell this work as his own creation. To add salt to injury, desperate writers on the platform were bidding for the job, and in an attempt to shove out the competition, reducing the amount they would accept for the job to as low as 50USD.

I decided that was unacceptable and made up my mind to write a book for myself. Not only would I write a book; I would write it and self-publish it. I would be a true author, not a pseudo-take-advantage-of-desperate-freelancers-on-an-online-freelance-platform-and-not-even-have-the-courtesy-to-pay-them-well-author that this person was trying to be.

And so I did, I wrote and published my book on KDP in August of 2018. I had high hopes for it.  I imagined that I would sell a few thousand copies and live off my creative juices for years. My journey into the author-verse had begun. The world would have to reckon with the writing genius that was Bujabs Dennis. Suffice it to say, I was wrong. As wrong as a flaccid dick trying to do the do. Pardon my French.

Five years later, I haven’t sold a single copy of the book…

To be continued…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Leggy Leggy

WHATS' IN A NAME?

The rest of your life can still be the best of your life